Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Job Description

So now that I’ve officially started my job I want to say just a few more things about it and why it’s such a miracle. I applied to probably fifty or more jobs between January and June. I was so willing to do anything that I even applied to be a box lifter/truck driver at a steel company (I can’t imagine why they didn’t want to hire me…haha!). I had sent out my resume so many times that I’m sure people on the street in Dallas would have recognized me, but for some reason I didn’t get a single job offer. I even applied at about ten Starbucks, and didn’t get a call. Starbucks was my back up! Ha. However, we had prayed so much about whether or not this whole move-to-Texas thing was a stupid idea, and we kept getting the sense that it was what we were supposed to do, so we felt confident in going ahead with the plan.

If I could have chosen my “dream” situation, it would have been working in an office from 9-5, near where Michael is in school (because we’re sharing a car) and that I could in some way have the same winter break schedule that he has. (For a recent college grad in this economy that’s like saying “I want a Ferrari for Christmas). The only non-negotiable was that my job would come with benefits since we couldn’t apply for them through his school. I didn’t even think to ask the seminary if they had any positions open (I had asked before, months ago when I called from NJ and they weren’t hiring), especially after they had found us a free place to live. However, the President heard me telling our new landlord that I was looking for a job with benefits so he called us that same night and said “have Hannah send me her resume, I’d like to talk with her about employment.” I was hopeful, thinking he might have some ideas or make some calls. When I walked into his office the next day he offered me a job in the seminary office for 30 hours a week between 9-5, for $10 an hour (way better than what I would have been making at Starbucks) AND full benefits for Michael AND me at no extra cost. Oh, and he said I could make my own hours around any other ministry commitments I had. Our jaws were on the floor once again, in the same office, in the same week.

The words that keep coming back to me are “now to Him who is able to do far more than all we ask or think…to Him be the glory” Ephesians 3:20. I couldn’t even conceive of this job and I certainly didn’t ask for it. But He is able


1 comment:

not a slave said...

for some reason I cry every time I read your blog.

that reason is that is always amazes me how much God loves you.

"The Lord's curse is on the house of the wicked,
but He blesses the dwelling of the righteous.

Toward the scorners He is scornful,
but to the humble He gives favor." Proverbs 3:33-34

love you, Hannah. you inspire me.