Thursday, October 7, 2010

Holst and Heaven

So last week Michael and I went to see Dallas Symphony Orchestra perform "The Planets" by Holst. This was fun for us because at our wedding, I walked down the aisle to the Jupiter theme (which happens to be set to a really cool hymn text...) but anyway, I think I cried in at least three of the movements of this "symphony"- and I won't try to explain why, because Anne Porter already did in this amazing poem that my friend Megan shared with me a couple months ago:

When I was a child

I once sat sobbing on the floor
Beside my mother’s piano
As she played and sang
For there was in her singing
A shy yet solemn glory
My smallness could not hold

And when I was asked

Why I was crying
I had no words for it
I only shook my head
And went on crying

Why is it that music

At its most beautiful
Opens a wound in us
An ache, a desolation
Deep as a homesickness
For some far-off
And half-forgotten country

I’ve never understood

Why this is so

But there’s an ancient legend

From the other side of the world
That gives away the secret
Of this mysterious sorrow

For centuries on centuries

We have been wandering
But we were made for Paradise
As deer for the forest

And when music comes to us

With its heavenly beauty
It brings us desolation
For when we hear it
We half remember
That lost native country

We dimly remember the fields

Their fragrant windswept clover
The birdsongs in the orchards
The wild white violets in the moss
By the transparent streams

And shining at the heart of it

Is the longed-for
beauty
Of the One who waits for us
Who will always wait for us
In those radiant meadows

Yet also came to live with us

And wanders where we wander.

1 comment:

not a slave said...

wow.

there was/is this little girl named Akiane who has an incredible story and started having visions of God and heaven when she was like 4 and then began painting these incredible paintings, and she used to cry every time her mother played music. Finally when she was like 6 her mom was playing music and Akiane started crying and begging her to turn it off. Her mom was so upset and asked what was wrong with her, why did she always do that. And she just said, "Don't be mad, mommy. It's just that the music I hear in heaven is so beautiful that this hurts my ears to listen to."

think about that!

haha. unbelievable.

love you.