Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Money and Manna

So, a bunch of newly freed slaves are traveling through the desert and realizing, "we're in the dessert. what are we going to eat!?!?! (Read this excerpt from the story...I promise it's relevant!):

"And Moses said, "this will happen when the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening, and bread to the full in the morning. . . . " So it came about at evening that quails came up and covered the camp, and in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp. When the dew had evaporated, behold, on the surface of the wilderness there was a fine cake-like thing on the ground. When the sons of Israel saw it, they said to one another, "What is it?" For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, "It is the bread which the Lord has given you to eat. This is what the Lord has commanded, 'Gather of it every man as much as he wants to eat: you shall take an omer apiece according to the number of persons each of you has in his tent.'" And the sons of Israel did so, and some gathered much and some little. . . And Moses said to them, "Let no man leave any of it until morning." But they did not listen to Moses, and some kept it until morning, and it bred worms and became foul." (from Exodus 16)

This is such a cool part of the story of God, because here God is providing food for literally thousands of people-- daily-- as much as they could possibly want. But every night the leftover food (the food that they tried to hoard and save up for themselves) would rot. Why? Well I'm sure God has a lot of reasons for doing things that I am not aware of, but ONE reason I think is because God wanted to teach them that HE is their Provider- and that His children are to trust Him to "show up" again tomorrow and give them what they need.

The past few months our finances have been a little scary. Like, we literally have JUST enough to get by every month. It kind of reminds me of the bread God provided for the Israelites in the desert. I can tell He is saying, "Trust Me. I'm your Provider, I will give you what you need...be confident in Me, not your savings or your large income."

This is really challenging me because beyond our monthly financial situation, we've felt led by God to take a number of different trips this year. None of these trips were a result of "wow, look at all this extra income- let's go on a trip to celebrate!" Every time we decide to commit to going on a trip that we're not sure if we can afford I get really anxious and wonder how we're going to survive (I'm a little dramatic sometimes, I know, but seriously!) and every time, God provides. It's honestly a little ridiculous that I still don't trust Him! No wonder we are compared to sheep in the Bible...don't they have like a 2 second memory?

Ok and last but not least, here's one of my favorites:

"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours." Jesus (Matthew 17:27)

For real, Jesus made money appear in the mouth of a fish so that the disciples could pay their taxes! And then I worry and wonder how He will provide. I love how good our God is and how He is constantly reminding me of His ability and His desire to provide.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly more than all we ask or imagine...to Him be the glory!"
Eph. 3



1 comment:

Michael said...

Great thoughts boo boo
!
When I began tithing and recognizing that my money is really God's, and it's up to HIm how much I have, I received (though I'm not always able to rest in) what I can only assume is similar peace as those wandering in the desert, trusting that God will provide. I've since never gone without anything I've needed (though I've gone without things that I've wanted).
Just like God caused their excess to rot, He causes my "excess-ive" desires to fall away, though I may initially think I need certain things.

- your adoring husband