Sunday, March 20, 2011

I Dreamed of Africa

I've got some news I'm pretty excited about.

Something I've been wanting to do since I was a little girl; something I've been dreaming about since I can remember dreaming; something I've wanted so badly at times I've wept bitter tears of desire and disappointment over it- is finally going to happen.

I am going to Africa.

If you know me very well, you're either crying with me or rolling your eyes. Both responses are understandable! This "road to Africa" has been a long one and it is full of meaning for me- because I can say that before I even step foot on that airplane this summer, God has already brought me to where I need to be.

Let me explain. For so long I thought going to Africa was the pinnacle of Christian experience; in my mind it was the ultimate display of love for God, the ultimate expression of holiness. It took me more than a couple of years to let God blow up that idolatrous notion. It took me a while to realize that my geographical location or vocational position has no more to do with my love for God than what color my toenails are painted.

It took me a while to realize that I have nothing to prove. God accepts me because of what Christ has done, not because of what I do for Him; and if I want to emulate His character, I need to stop putting those who serve cross-culturally on a pedestal that God does not. I need to stop creating tiny pedestals for myself to crawl upon in the name of loving God.

And here's the beauty and freedom in realizing all that- after some of the garbage has been scraped away, my desire to go to Africa has remained. And now I can say, "OK Lord, I'll follow You into this next step, knowing that it has nothing to do with my status as a Christian or improve my position before You in any way."

I can get on that plane feeling excited, humbled, and eager to see how God plans to display His splendor in a context that I've yet to experience.

And when I get back home I'll know that nothing has changed except my heart.

4 comments:

amy marcy said...

ok, i hope you know that i am one who cries with you...i am so excited for you! what a journey! when do you leave and what exactly are you doing there? what part of africa? we need details! love you and miss you! hunter says hey and he sends a shout out to your hub. pass him our hugs, hope to see ya'll soon!!

amy marcy said...

p.s is michael going with you? and are you going with a group?

Hannah said...

we're going together and yes we'll give you as many details as you can stand! what's your email address? we'll add you to our "update" list! lol. you're such an encouragement, btw :) and the hub sends a shout out back- can't wait for our next random breakfast in beaufort! haha!

ugrey said...

The African continent will never be the same again!!!! Do they know you are coming yet? :-)







Actually, YOU will never be the same again. You and Michael have the courage of your convictions. I am proud to know you two. How can I help?