Sunday, May 15, 2011

Here Am I, Lord! Send Me

One year ago, I walked across the stage of the Princeton University Chapel to graduate from Westminster Choir College. My experience there was such that a year later I still come to tears remembering- and grieving- that time. I may write more on this later, but for now I don't know what more I could say other than share the text of the song we got to sing at Commencement- it was our "anthem of dedication," written for two choirs; the graduates make up one and all the other students make up another. Right before receiving our diplomas, our graduating class sang "Here am I, Lord! Send me"

If you've never heard this or you're not a classical music person, just try it. If you're a WCC grad, listen and hear words in a new way.
Text is below; watch and listen along here!

"Whom shall we send? And who will go for us?"
"Here am I, Lord! Send me"

God is working His purpose out as year succeeds to year
God is working His purpose out and the time is drawing near-
Nearer and nearer draws the time, the time that shall surely be
When the earth shall be filled with the glory of God as the waters cover the sea

What can we do to work God's work, to prosper and increase
The brotherhood of all mankind, the reign of the Prince of Peace?
What can do to hasten the time, the time that shall surely be
When the earth shall be filled with the glory of God as the waters cover the sea!

March we forth in the strength of God with the banner of Christ unfurled
That the light of the glorious Gospel of Truth may shine throughout the world!
Fight we the fight with sorrow and sin to set their captives free
That the earth shall be filled with the glory of God as the waters cover sea

"Whom shall we send? And who will go for us?"
"Here am I, Lord! Send me."

Take my life and let it be consecrated Lord, to Thee
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise!
Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee
Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King!

Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of Thy love
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee
Take my will and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne
Take my love my Lord, I pour at thy feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be ever, only, all for Thee

"Whom shall we send? And who will go for us?"
"Here am I, Lord! Send me"

O Jesus I have promised to serve Thee to the end
Be Thou forever near me, my Master and my Friend
I shall not fear the battle, if Thou art by my side
Nor wander from the pathway, if Thou wilt be my guide.

O Jesus Thou hast promised to all who follow Thee
That where Thou art in glory, there shall They servants be
And Jesus I have promised to serve Thee to the end!
O give me grace to follow my Master and my Friend!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so beautiful- thank you for sharing! Your writing is a blessing!