Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Only Prescription: Come!

I've been blogging about contentment and "living in the now" lately, in part because that's where God has been meeting me (He's good at meeting us where we are!) And I realize that just reading my last few posts, in a vacuum, might lead to some confusion about what it means to be a Christian!

Here's what I mean. Moral lessons or positive anecdotes can never bring us life. Being a Christian is not about thinking positively or being morally upright. It's not about "keeping family first," "remembering what's important," or "enjoying the little moments" life has to offer. It's about being totally rescued and completely redefined by Jesus Christ.

Why does that matter? Why do I need to bring that up? Surely a lesson on "learning to be content in the now" could stand on its own without dragging Jesus into it! Well, it matters to me more than anything- because if I'm influencing anyone out there and they walk away thinking "to be fulfilled, I just need to learn to live in the now" then I believe my words have done a disservice.

God describes my natural state before Him apart from Christ as "dead." But because of Christ's death on the Cross (taking my "death" for me) and His Resurrection (accomplishing new life for me), I am now "raised to life" with Christ and am now "alive" to God (Ephesians 2, Colossians 2). So when I talk about all these other things- learning to be content, doing such and such good deed, trusting God for provision, etc.- I am describing the life God has given me, not prescribing the way to find life.

I don't want to promote a description of life as the prescription for life. If you are thirsty for life with Jesus please don't think I'm offering moral lessons as a way to get there. All I can give you is the same invitation that was given to me: "Come!"

“Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,

and your labor for that which does not satisfy?

Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,

and delight yourselves in rich food.

Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live!"

-Isaiah 55

No comments: