Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two Special Gifts

When I was twelve years old, my dad gave me a Bible. In the front pages, he wrote me a letter.

"...I am your father and love you very much. There is nothing I would not do for you. I only want your welfare and good fortune. But this book contains the greatest gift I could ever give you. I hope you can see the impact it has had on my life. Through the pages of this book we learn about the greatest gift of all...God gave His son Jesus Christ so that we can have life. I hope you realize the intensity of my love; God's love is even greater than mine. I pray that you continue all the days of your life to walk in His magnificent light."

My dad preached the Gospel to me, but he also modeled it for me. He was not a perfect man, but I saw his personal relationship with the Word of God, and I saw it change him.

Years later, I am reminded of my father's gift and his prayer for me as I hold my new Bible, a birthday gift from my husband. His also had a note.

"...On this your 23rd birthday, I can think of nothing better to give you than God's Word. Your constant desire to draw everything back through the lines of Scripture is nothing short of inspiring to me. My prayer is that this desire would grow in both intensity and knowledge."

What is so meaningful to me about these memoirs is that both my father and my husband realized something: that the truth of God's Word is the greatest treasure they can offer me. Their prayer for me is not that I'll have every happiness, that I'll conquer the world, that I'll go out and make my dreams come true- they both prayed for me that my relationship with the Word of God would shape and define my life.

And what is the Word of God?

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Every page of Scripture leads me to Him. Jesus Christ, the Word Incarnate, the Word made flesh. He's the One who met my father in the pages of Scripture and transformed his life. He's the One who prepared him to die well- to see glory- and He's the salvation I find from Genesis to Revelation. God's Word tells me The Story so that I can meet the hero, Jesus Christ- God's Living Word to me.


No comments: