Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cooking in Bulk

This past week I made stuffing for ten people. I'll admit, I was pretty proud to be cooking in bulk. But I'll also admit that after preparing my one measly dish to garnish the Thanksgiving dinner table, I was wiped out! I thought, "I can't imagine cooking a whole meal for that many people."

Last week, I babysat for three little kids. I had to feed them and play with them until about 9 pm. Again, I was proud of my ability to keep everyone alive and unbloodied- but also surprised at how wiped out I was! I thought, "I can't imagine having three small children all the time!"

Both experiences made me doubt myself. They made me wonder if I'm really cut out to be a grown-up. Who was I kidding when I thought I could parent well? Who was I kidding when I thought I was the "big family" type? Then I remembered the first time I drove cross-country with my mom and how I was worn out after about 2 hours. At first, I wasn't capable of making a long trip by myself. But a year later, I was driving to and from New Jersey without any help! God prepared me slowly. He helped me stretch my driving muscles. He equipped me for what He had called me to do and He did it over time.

That's a nice thought. I don't need to pretend that I have the skills to constantly juggle swarms of little people and cook for them every day. But I can be confident that one day, I will! And I don't need to pretend that I'm equipped to live in another country or share my faith with people who intimidate me or help start a church- but I can be confident that one day, I will! I can be confident because my calling is not dependent on my current skills or abilities. My calling is up to God, and He'll equip me for it in time.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, I love reading what you have to say. I needed this right now! Thanks, Hannah.

-Susan

Loki said...

Dearest Hannah
Sorry this is a long comment:) I loved your post and couldn't agree more. When I overnight became the Mom of two 6 month old babies, in a strange culture with very few rolemodels around, these verses became my frequent prayer.
"Give ear, and hear my voice;give attention, and hear my speech.
Does he who plows for sowing plow continually?
Does he continually open and harrow his ground?
When he has leveled its surface,qdoes he not scatter dill, sow cumin,and put in wheat in rows
and barley in its proper place,and emmer as the border?
For he is rightly instructed;his God teaches him.
Dill is not threshed with a threshing sledge, nor is a cart wheel rolled over cumin,
but dill is beaten out with a stick,
and cumin with a rod.
Does one crush grain for bread?
No, he does not thresh it forever;
when he drives his cart wheel over it
with his horses, he does not crush it.
This also comes from the LORD of hosts;
he is wonderful in counsel
and excellent in wisdom.
(Isaiah 28:23-29 ESV)
I guess you get the point. My thinking was that God who teaches the farmer wisdom for all his different crops and tasks, would also give wisdom and strength to a very inexperienced young Mom like me:)
Blessings to you in the Christmas season.
Loki