Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Greek

One of the things that has kept me busy this summer is Intensive Greek. On June 4th, I started Greek 1. Today, I got my Greek 2 midterm back. In other words, it has been moving! I'll admit that my anticipatory thoughts and feelings about Greek were along the lines of, "I need to get this over with so that I can get to the good classes." In other words, I was viewing the biblical languages as a necessary evil of sorts; most likely, not something I would enjoy in the process.

Greek has been hard work. It has included sleepy-eyed study sessions and random mnemonic devices that make me the crazy person muttering to herself in Kroger (OK, maybe that's not a new thing since studying Greek). But it has also made the story of Scripture come alive to me in a way I couldn't really have imagined before. 

I could probably write a blog post a week on the things I'm learning about Jesus through the original language of the New Testament, but it would be an insufficient summary because the glory that I'm seeing is coming in glimpses-- sort of the way the sun emerges from behind a moving cloud for a few moments of splendor on a cold, gray day-- after the cloud cover has returned, the memory of the feeling remains but the opportunity to say, "Wow! Look!" has passed. I'm hoping that as I continue to study, my image of Jesus in the Scriptures will grow clearer and more defined so that I'll be able to do just what my professor is doing for us now; showing us The Word-- Jesus-- and saying, "Wow. Look." 

He is, after all, what the Scriptures are about. 





 

"And Jesus said, "If you believed Moses, you would believe me, because he was writing about me." John 5:46


 

No comments: