Thursday, November 8, 2012

What is the Gospel? Where There's a Best, There's Always a Better

When I first came to seminary, I basically thought the gospel (God's good news for us through the work of Christ) was something along the lines of checking a box ("I believe") and going to Heaven. I thought it was more like fire insurance than anything else. Since then, I've realized that while things like believing and Heaven are part of the story, they're just that: part of the story. There is so much more to God's good news than I could have ever imagined. 

For one thing, it doesn't just involve intellectually assenting to some idea-- checking a box-- it involves meeting and interacting with a Person. For another thing, it isn't just something that I get after I die, as if there's some ticket I'm waiting to redeem. It changes everything here and now. Yes there's Heaven, but in a way, one could say the gospel means that Heaven has come near and Heaven is here. And lastly, while it teaches me more than anything else that I matter, I've come to learn that it's ultimately not about me. I can't express how freeing it is to realize that the gospel isn't like a modern day sales pitch, centered around me, the consumer. The gospel is in fact about God, and that's the best news in the world. Because it means God has entered my personal story and redeemed it by inviting me into an even bigger one. He's invited me into His Story-- the Big Story-- of which all of history is a part and God is the central character, the Hero. 

The gospel is not an idea, it's a Person. That Person is Jesus. And He invites me to be a part of His mission not just to rescue me, but to rescue the whole world. And it's happening here and now. 

This is one of the best messages I've heard elaborating on some of these truths. It's a little big long, but well worth it. Listen while you cook, run, recline, pace, clip your toenails, whatever it takes! Even if you think this is crazy talk but just want to know what the subtitle of this post means, listen to find out! Also, if you do read all this stuff and think it's a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo, or if you are interested in talking more about anything specific, please email me. I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Liz Hellams said...

I love reading your posts, Hannah, they are so full of Gospel passion and so often are just the truth I needed to read at that moment. God has been teaching my family and I similar things to what you've learned about the Gospel...it's so exciting to see a renewed understanding and fervor for the Gospel growing around the world, and throughout our country.