Monday, February 18, 2013

Reflected Light

I am blessed to drive home toward the unique Dallas skyline each evening. I never thought I'd want to live in a "big city," but now that I do, I really appreciate being a part of it. Tonight, I was struck by the sun hitting the skyscrapers as it set, and seeing color everywhere. The reflected rays of orange, red, and purple cast brilliance back into the sky and into my eyes. As I enjoyed both the natural beauty of the sun and the reflected beauty of the city, I was reminded of what it means to be made in God's image. 

Just as the man-made buildings reflected the sun's rays, so we reflect God's glory. He is the Creator, the Source of all that is good, true, and beautiful. We are made in His image, which means (in part) that we "create" good, true, and beautiful things. The instincts that are within each of us to love a good story, enjoy a gorgeous symphony, feel deeply the meaning of a great work of art-- or to investigate a cure for cancer, build an efficient city, or seek the welfare of its inhabitants-- these are signposts to God, who fashioned us after His own likeness.

This encourages me because it means that I am invited to enjoy all of humanity's "glory"-- the art, creativity, scientific discovery, and culture-making are to be celebrated! These things that come out of us reflect God's character because we are made in His image. It encourages me to allow myself to feel the depths of my emotion without shame or embarrassment when I'm stirred by the good, true, and beautiful things around me. But it also reminds me that we are ultimately not the source of our glory, rather, that we steward a reflection. Just as the buildings of my city do not emanate their own light, but reflect the stunning rays of the sun, so we in our humanity are not the source of the good, true, and beautiful that we feel so deeply inside us-- rather, those aspects of who we are point us to the One who made us, the One who is Good, True, and Beautiful.

Are you awed by humanity and all our "good?" Good! But don't let it stop there. Let it be a signpost to you of the God whose good we reflect. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you would really enjoy Tim Keller's book "Every Good Endeavor." :) Thanks for another great post!
~Natalie Sherer