Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pass the Bread Pt. 2-- The Invitation

Last week, I wrote about how the generosity of a shared meal helped me to experience the gospel as a college student. The truth is, I only came to that realization because of the continued practice of a Shared Meal every week at my church. When I walk in the door each Sunday, I don't leave until Jesus has fed me. And it's amazing that no matter how bratty I've been that week, how lame or weak I feel in the moment, how undeserving I perceive myself to be to come to Dinner at God's House-- I hear the same, unwavering words. "This is my body, broken for you." I need the regular celebration of Communion because it reenacts and reminds me that this-- to be welcomed into the Home of God and to sit at table with Him-- is what it's all about, and it has nothing to do with what I've earned. Rather, it has to do with what God has given. 

As a Christian, this is what I want to share with others when I talk about Jesus: the invitation to experience the same surprising generosity that has and continues to change everything. And I just want to say, as a Christian, I'm sorry if anyone has ever spoken to you about Jesus with the intent of making you feel excluded or disqualified. Please hear the invitation for Jesus to take whatever "disqualifies" you onto Himself-- "this is my body, broken for you"-- so that you can be welcomed. 

I first heard this closing prayer at a church I visited a few weeks ago. It had such an impact on me that it inspired these past two posts. 

Go now in the joy of knowing that you have been included.
Included at this table.
Included as His table.
Included in our common life.
Included in the Life of God;
in the Life of the Triune God;
in the Life shared by the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Go in the joy of knowing that you have been included
in the inner life of the God Who is love.
Go, find joy in telling others that they too are included!
Go, find joy in bringing all God’s people to His table!
“Do not be afraid, little flock,
for your Father has chosen gladly
to give you the kingdom.”
You are included!

No comments: