Friday, September 26, 2014

"Food, Glorious Food"

If you've known me very long-- or at all-- you probably know that I love food. Like, I think about it in the morning when I wake up (what's for dinner tonight?) I day-dream about it at the beginning of the week (what should I cook this week?) I talk about it, read blogs about it-- I guess I even write blogs about it!-- and sometimes, I dream about it. (Though admittedly, this isn't always satisfying. Ever wake up right as you were about to cut into a huge stack of hot pancakes in dream-land? I do.) 

And though I might be a little bit on the extreme side, I think it's is pretty much true that across cultures, food is a big deal. We plan our days around it, very few celebrations happen without it, and when people don't get enough of it,   physical and psychological damage can occur. All you have to do is talk to an adoptive parent whose child hoards or overeats out of a deep-seated fear that "I may not get enough" to get a real life, first world example of this.

But I think that this basically universal reality-- that food is a big deal-- is one of the reasons Jesus talks about food so much when telling people about Himself. "I am the bread of life," he says. And He describes what He has come to do as transforming a wasteland into a banquet table; making our emptiness into abundance; turning five loaves and two fish into twelve baskets of leftovers. At the announcement of the birth of Christ, his mother Mary says "He has filled the hungry with good things." And prophetic words describing His ministry say, 

"Come, everyone who thirsts,
come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food.
"


In other words, Jesus' own words about Himself aren't just "You need to obey me because I'm God" but "Life with me is like a feast, where the wine never runs out." He says, "Apart from Me you will be hungry; but come to me and I will feed you what is good. I will satisfy you." 

You could read this blog and only take away the fact that I sometimes dream about pancakes. And that would be true. But I hope you'll take away a little bit more. If you've experienced physical or spiritual hunger, I hope you'll consider Jesus' invitation to fill your emptiness. If you've ever wondered if becoming a Christian would mean giving up all the fun in life, I hope you'll consider Jesus' invitation to follow Him as an invitation to join Him at the biggest, best dinner party the world has ever seen.

I hope you'll consider joining the feast! 

1 comment:

Rebekah George said...

Just wanted to drop a line and say that this post was quite the blessing tonight. You know how when God is trying to tell you something He says it over and over again from different, unexpected sources? That just happened!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)